Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Journey of Area 51

I am hoping to do a running set of posts on living in community and in Area 51 (my flat) in particular.
This is because most of my last 6 months has been figuring out how to create a awesome flat culture and community feel in a flat. This has been a dream of mine since I went flatting. I wanted to be about creating a space where people could live well together, caring for one another and growing in relationship with one another.


I moved into Area 51 (our flat) one and a half years ago. We had a pretty cool group of flatties, but we never wrestled with what it means to be a group journeying together. I tried to gain momentum, during the first year, but failed miserably.

At the end of last year, I began discussions with some fellow freinds who live across the road who have created a awesome community of people, who principly came out a church youth group and have now formed a community of 20 people (from both christian and non-christian backgrounds) who are trying to live well in community together. Principly it started a discussion about whether area 51 would like to house members of the community, but also as a way of develioping a flat culture and community in my beloved flat.

At the end of last year, my now good mate, Chris Silvester moved into the flat. Chris' strength is activation, he lives and breaths the ability to create things, and enjoys new expressions. Me and him went about the process of trying to gain momentum in the flat, and then in March our flat began the process of transformation, when Kate another member of the flat community moved in from across the road.

What I have discovered from this experience has so far has been the importance of partnering wtih others with the same vision. I often crave autonomy, but a key principle for facilitating change and creating moment is to partner with others. Real momentum in area 51 was gained when a greater part of the flat held on to the dream and vision for living well in community. Once thisn ocurred we began change.

No comments: