Sunday, March 16, 2008

Preach it Mother, Sister, Brother...

I have just finished reading Rick McKinley's book This Beautiful Mess: Practicing the Presence of the Kingdom of God . It was an awesome book to reach especially in conjuction with studying the Sermon on the Mount at Mosaic.

Anyway one chapter hit me pretty hard as I was reading it on the Bus as I went to work this week, it was chapter 11. There were a couple of qoutes about allowing our lives be lights - a constant theme in my life at the moment... sounds like God is trying to teach me something, anyway read these. The first is from Mother Theresa.

There should be less talk; a preaching point is not a meeting point. ... ... What do you do then? Take a broom and clean someone's house. That says enough.


The next one is from Rick McKinley. This hit me real hard.

The fact is our lives do preach. But what do they preach? Do they preach to the world that God mourns with those who mourn and is risen "with healing in his wings"? Or do they announce that God is apathetic?



I have a real sense that I am an ambassador for God in this world. That we are to spread a message of love and hope in this world. A message that God wants to be reconciled with his Children. Forget the worlds, show it in actions. Actions speak loudly to how we really think, what is really important to us. God showed who he truly was by Jesus' ultimate sacrifice. How are we living to show what the Gospel means. Not acting it, but truly being a voice of faith love and hope to a broken world.

No comments: