Monday, March 29, 2010

Reading the Paper is painful

I read the paper last night and it had the stories of the hardship that people are facing in the depression. According to the media, Wellington's food banks are running bear and there is increasing pressure on this.

I can't help but get upset about this. I can not get upset at the New Zealand government, its not just thier responsiblity to deal with social issues, but I do get upset at myself, for being apathetic to the pain people face in thier life.

I make excuses not to engage all the time, I don't have the time resource, money. But in reality, I am a lot richer than most people, I just prioritise my resources in a way that bring benefit to what I see as most important.

Often it is my need for pleasure, I need to dress well, eat well, be happy with the way others see me, and in the way I do so, I show that I am more important than others around me. Rather than giving up my resources, I can often desire to put myself first above others.

I need to engage in dealing with the poor and the lonely, to bring health to my own life, my modus operandi cannot be myself, but always looking to bring redemption to those on the outter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read an article on stuff.co.nz about how Wellington needs a dedicated women's shelter, and I felt pained too, reading about the food bank and about the people who are sleeping on the streets. We're going into winter and already the nights are quite brutal.
I want to contact someone and offer my help for a women's shelter, but I don't know who to talk to. As a result, I probably won't do anything because I don't know how to take the first step. How horrible am I?

Pilgrim said...

Hmm. Good luck Nathanael, this stuff is so lame, Funding for mental health in Wellington is also being cut :(